[OpenAFS] backup software (TSM/Veritas/TiBS, what else?)

steve rader rader@ginseng.hep.wisc.edu
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:09:30 -0500

 > However, we are willing to accept this because the AFS client allows us
 > to back up indiviual files as opposed to fileset/volume dumps.

Legato NetWorker backs up individual AFS files quite nicely, but
it doesn't save/restore AFS ACLs.

Caveat: NetWorker "knows" that AFS file space is on a remote
server, and thus, by default, it will not back it up.  The trick
is to configure it with the top-level of the back up ("save set")
*within* AFS file space.

Also, I have sucessfully done file-level backups of AFS files with
ACLs to NetWorker via a wrapper around tar.  Within a month or so,
I hope release a version of NetWorkerAFS that has that functionality.

steve
- - -
systems & network guy
high energy physics