[OpenAFS] backup software (TSM/Veritas/TiBS, what else?)

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 11:27:35 -0400

On Friday 15 August 2003 16:50, Lester Barrows wrote:
> I'm curious, you had mentioned previously that you were evaluating TiBS.
> I've also been using the standard AFS backup system with a tape changer
> and scripts, since the inception of our cell about a year ago. What's
> your opinion of TiBS based on your evaluation? Is it worth looking into
> for about 500GB of data?

We're backing up ~ 650GB of AFS as well as some unknown (to me) but large
amount of local disk on Unix and Windows machines to a pair of tape
jukeboxes.  Restores are a regular occurrence, not only to recover users'
deleted files but also as part of machine rebuilds and/or upgrades.

(Disclaimer:  Kris Webb is from here and we're Teradactyl's main development
testing and beta test site for TiBS, so we're biased.  On the other hand, if
it weren't doing the job we wouldn't be using it; backups and (more
importantly) restores are critically important around here.)

--
brandon s. allbery   [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]      allbery@kf8nh.com
system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery@ece.cmu.edu