[OpenAFS] backup software (TSM/Veritas/TiBS, what else?)

Tracy Di Marco White afs-info@gendalia.org
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:52:03 -0500

Lester Barrows <barrows@email.arc.nasa.gov> wrote:
>I'm curious, you had mentioned previously that you were evaluating TiBS.
>I've also been using the standard AFS backup system with a tape changer
>and scripts, since the inception of our cell about a year ago. What's
>your opinion of TiBS based on your evaluation? Is it worth looking into
>for about 500GB of data?

One server we tested it with probably had 300GB of data on it, around
22,000 volumes, and takes 36 hours to do a full backup with the AFS
backup system.  The first pass at a full backup with TiBS took 27
hours (if I recall correctly), but TiBS only needs an initial full
backup, after that it merges incrementals into the full to create
new full sets.  It was not initially as scalable as it could be, but
Kris Webb with TiBS spent some time working on improving scalability
to deal with the number of volumes we have.  I think it's worth
looking into.

-Tracy