[OpenAFS] backup software (TSM/Veritas/TiBS, what else?)

Tracy Di Marco White afs-info@gendalia.org
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:51:29 -0500

"M. Jamal Green" <mgreen@odu.edu> wrote:
>We use Tivoli Storage Manager here at Old Dominion University to backup
>up our existing DCE/DFS Cell, and are currently in the process of
>migrating to Open AFS.  There is an AFS backup client, but its only for
>IBM AIX platform for versions of AIX up to 4.3.3.  IBM has informed us
>that there will be no AIX 5 TSM AFS client and AIX 4.3.3 is being End of
>Life'd this year.

I had thought I'd read in AFS documentation that the tape coordinator
client (which I thought was what was needed) was available for AIX
and for Solaris 2.6 & 2.7.  We have no AIX machines, but we do have
Solaris machines if there is a client for that.

I'm curious, if you're backing up files instead of volumes, do you
do something to prevent recursion in the mount points, for example
mounting root.cell (or other volumes that are mount points for other
volumes).  Or is the backup on a volume basis, but of the files?

I do backups on a partition on the fileserver basis, and everything
on a partition gets backed up, so I'm curious what problems there
may be with a different style of backup.

>However, we are willing to accept this because the AFS client allows us
>to back up indiviual files as opposed to fileset/volume dumps.

You're going to keep using AIX 4.3.3 to keep this ability?

Thanks for your reply.

-Tracy