[OpenAFS] Re: read-only to read-write fast?

Tino Schwarze tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:37:58 +0200

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:27:25AM +0200, Hein Roehrig wrote:

> >> [...] The obvious downside of
> >> this approach is that (total) disk failures tend to destroy a day's
> >> worth of work...
>
> > You won't get rid of this problem by using AFS. [...]
>
> I know. The advantage of AFS would be to get out of automounter &
> "stale NFS handle" hell.

Definitely.

> > An RO-NFS-Translator is easy - just use a linux box with user-space NFS.
>
> Will the standard kernel-space NFS server do, too? I am asking because
> ideally the translator box would be (for the time being) a regular NFS
> server, too.

No, because the kernel-space NFS does not see the /afs space for some
reason. (At least it was this way a year ago when we tested such a setup
for kick-start-installing via NFS provided by AFS).

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/