[OpenAFS] Unable to Obtain Tokens

Jason C. Wells jcw@highperformance.net
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 17:31:46 -0800 (PST)

Today I can no longer get tokens.  I get the error:

	The AFS Client was unable to obtain tokens as jcw in cell
	stradamotorsports.com.

	Error: 11862791 (AFS service my not have started)

I cannot get tokens using MIT aklog either.  I get the same error.  I
cannot gain access to /afs via system:anyuser either, so there is more to
it than just token issues.  A CIFS network server stub appears in
network neighborhood as \\W13-FS\afs.

If I purposefully enter an incorrect username, I get "Error 8: (user does
not exist)" so it seems that afscreds.exe is talking to the kaserver.

It appears that the AFS service is running, both from the task manager and
from the AFS Client configuration dialog.

Strangely, the 'afsd_service.exe' process appears in task manager as
'afsd_service.ex'.  Perhaps that is normal?

The netbios name "W13-AFS" appears as expected in 'nbtstat -n'.

>From what I have observed, I guess that the windows cache manager is
misbehaving.  I have no idea how to fix it.

I can get tokens with aklog and klog under linux. I can access the AFS
file space from linux.  I am pretty sure there isn't a server side issue.

The only thing I googled up was a thread that addressed different older
versions of OpenAFS showing flakiness.

Everything is working, 'cept it ain't.  Any ideas?  Any troubleshooting
techniques?

Thanks,
Jason C. Wells