[OpenAFS] Windows cache problem revisited...

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Thu, 04 Dec 2003 16:04:00 -0500

Rob, Derrick, Jeffrey,

I'm not sure what the right way to respond is here...so I'll just start in.

Jeffrey, thank you for the polite lesson in mailing list social
etiquette.  It may be deserved, maybe not.  I did say ahead of time that I
was "sorry for the rant".  Sometimes I use this list to vent my
frustrations.  I wasn't directing my frustration toward you at all, and I'm
sorry if you may have interpreted it that way.  I do not in the least want
to imply that the AFS/OpenAFS developers haven't done a good job in keeping
the software alive, especially for Windows users.  I am thoroughly pleased
with the community at large, that this list exists, and that continued
development is being done.  I do however like to make problems known, and
sometimes I do this with a manner that probably isn't in some peoples best
interests.  Many of the best rants and heated debates take place in mailing
lists.  Just look at the Linux kernel mailing list for example.  To think
that I might be annoying someone here, how outrageous!  ;)

Moving on...

Rob, Jeffrey, your responses were good in that they are some of the deeper
'technical' information I was looking for.  However, part of the problem is
that I'm not overjoyed about these so called 'performance improvements'
made by the "memory mapped chunks" because there don't seem to be any.

Yes, reducing the cache has made my life better, if you can call it
that.  It is now set to 48 Meg instead of 256 Meg.  The problem now is I
don't have enough room to really cache much.  I'm now loading down the
network more than I should.  Part of my frustration is seeing that others
"can" set their caches to 1 Gig or greater.   See...

http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/wiki/space/Setting+up+your+computer+as+an+AFS+client

So how does the cache implementation differ under the Unix/Linux
environment.  Does the 'nix environment use a memory mapped file?  If a
'nix machine has only 256 Meg of real memory, then what do you think a good
cache size would be?  What do you guys on the mailing list set your caches
to on 'nix, and Windows?  If the cache implementation is different under
'nix/Win then why?  Does 'nix slow down when transfering large files?

My problem isn't always related to copying large files.  Many times I will
walk into our student labs and logon with a test account just to do a quick
test.  I find that many machines have entered the 'slow' condition and
logons take considerably longer than normal as well as application slow
downs.  I find this especially curious because we restart the AFS client
service every night at 4:00am and delete the cache file.  You would think
that our lab machines could take 5 or 10 different people logging on and
off to do work during the day without entering the 'slow' state.  If I
reset the cache down to 48 Meg for those machines it should 'fix' the
problem, but then the network will probably be loaded more, which makes the
cache kind'a moot.  Granted, we are now getting new machines with a Gig of
memory so this problem may not show up as often.  So maybe I should just
shut up and throw hardware at the problem right?

In the end, I don't see the efficiency gained by the algorithm used to
cache AFS data on Windows.  I'd either like this changed in the future, or
given an option to not use any memory mapping.  Windows itself does it's
own file caching for recently used files.  Why would AFS need to do it on
top of that?

Sorry again Jeffrey,

(Thanks for the moral support Mike!)

Rodney