[OpenAFS] Windows cache problem revisited...

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@uiuc.edu
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:32:45 -0600

Rodney M Dyer <rmdyer@uncc.edu> wrote:
> Yes, reducing the cache has made my life better, if you can call it
> that.  It is now set to 48 Meg instead of 256 Meg.  The problem now
> is I don't have enough room to really cache much.  I'm now loading
> down the network more than I should.  Part of my frustration is
> seeing that others "can" set their caches to 1 Gig or greater.
> See...

http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/wiki/space/Setting+up+your+computer+as+an+AFS+client

Uhh, if you read the "notes" at the bottom of that wiki page, you'll
see:
"Might be worth mentioning that using a large cache tends to cause
OpenAFS to kernel panic under Panther (Mac OS X 10.3)... use memcache
instead."

I haven't gotten around to updating the main page yet.

Although I will state that largish caches seem to work fairly well under
MAC OS 10.2 and our Windows 2003 machines did indeed use large 500MB to
1GB caches (until the recent messages on this list that caused me to
shrink them to 256 MB on machines with 1GB of RAM.)

Also, I wouldn't trust information on that page too much, since we have
only been using AFS for about 6 months, have only unpaid volunteers as
network / system admins, and don't have a full, production quality AFS
environment.  That being said, we are learning and so far our users seem
to like AFS far better than our NFS environment.

<<CDC
Christopher D. Clausen
ACM@UIUC SysAdmin