[OpenAFS] ReiserFS /vicep, general performance with lots of vols in single part?

Michael Loftis mloftis@wgops.com
Thu, 04 Dec 2003 14:38:15 -0700

OK I know it's probably been asked before but I can't seem to find anything
recently.  Is anyone currently using a ReiserFS backed AFS Server?  I'm
using one in a 'toy' environment at home, and I like the dynamic expansion
capability, and the abiltiy to shrink the (offline) filesystem as well.

Any performance benchmarks on ext3 v. reiser for AFS usage?

One of the reasons I'm looking at reiser is because of the potentially
staggering number of volumes I may have on a single partition (10k+)...with
all the small VOL*.vol files in the /vicep?? I think that ext3 would get
huge slowdowns.

Anyone tried writing a patch to 'hash' the vol files?  Performance
bottlenecks here/etc?

TIA!!!

--
GPG/PGP --> 0xE736BD7E 5144 6A2D 977A 6651 DFBE 1462 E351 88B9 E736 BD7E