[OpenAFS] ReiserFS /vicep, general performance with lots of vols in single part?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:40:52 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Michael Loftis wrote:

> One of the reasons I'm looking at reiser is because of the potentially
> staggering number of volumes I may have on a single partition (10k+)...with
> all the small VOL*.vol files in the /vicep?? I think that ext3 would get
> huge slowdowns.

"All the small .vol files" are headers which aren't where the real I/O is.
The real I/O is on files which are exactly the same size as what you wrote
into AFS. Write a 1gb file, have a 1gb file in /vicepa/AFSIDat/....