[OpenAFS] ReiserFS /vicep, general performance with lots of vols in single part?

Derek Atkins warlord@mit.edu
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:10:15 -0500

Hi,

Quoting Michael Loftis <mloftis@wgops.com>:

> One of the reasons I'm looking at reiser is because of the potentially
> staggering number of volumes I may have on a single partition (10k+)...with
> all the small VOL*.vol files in the /vicep?? I think that ext3 would get
> huge slowdowns.

10k files works without ANY PROBLEM in ext2/3.  Slowdowns occur at the
next order of magnitude.  If you said 100k+ volumes, THEN I would agree
that there is a performance issue.  But 10k isn't a problem.

> Anyone tried writing a patch to 'hash' the vol files?  Performance
> bottlenecks here/etc?

I dont think it's become an issue (like it did on the client cache).
On a 5GB client cache you could have 500k cache files (or is it 5MM cache
files?) which REALLY showed the slowness during file creation.  File Access
was never an issue, just creation...  So that's why the hashed client cache.
When there were only 10k cache files it was never an issue.

> TIA!!!

-derek