[OpenAFS] ReiserFS /vicep, general performance with lots of vols in single part?

Jimmy Engelbrecht jimmy@e.kth.se
08 Dec 2003 16:13:45 +0100

Nathan Neulinger <nneul@umr.edu> writes:

> We use reiserfs on /vicep on about 17 servers for around 1.4 TB used.
> Works great. We actually don't dedicate a partition either, we use the
> AlwaysAttach functionality with a regular dir. Makes managing space a
> little easier in some cases. Performance was definately better than with
> ext3, but not as good as ext2 in some cases. No real concrete
> testing/numbers though.

Same as we discovered a few years ago.

Here are some numbers:

http://www.e.kth.se/~jimmy/afsfsperf/afsfsperf.html

especially numbers from jade.e.kth.se are intressting for you.

These were the tests i made with afsfsperf before we started to our
AFS-Cell from Digital UNIX to Linux. We decided to go with reiserfs and had
no known problems related to the filsystemtype ever.

I do recommend reiserfs for /vicep* .

On our Wiki there is an PerformanceWork page:

http://grand.central.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/PerformanceWork

/Jimmy