[OpenAFS] AFS vs Intermezzo vs CODA - how do i choose?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:26:06 -0800

hanasaki <hanasaki@hanaden.com> writes:

> Hello all,

> Just getting started with AFS and I have learned there are at least two
> other Filesystems that are similar (or at least I think so).  How do I
> choose between AFS/Intermezzo/CODA?

> It appears that CODA is an AFS spin-off?

> I will be running servers on debian sarge with kernels of 2.4.x and
> 2.6. Clients will be the same, and at some point in the future, possibly
> Win2000/XP.

I don't know anything much about Intermezzo in particular, but the normal
thing to note about AFS vs. CODA is that CODA, while theoretically more
sophisticated, was a research project that never really reached production
stability, whereas AFS is in production use all over the world.  I really
wouldn't recommend CODA except to people who are looking to experiment
with network file systems and who are willing to do some development and
porting work to play with something.