[OpenAFS] Windows cache rehashed...

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:39:21 -0500

Jeffrey and others,

At 08:03 AM 12/16/2003, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>My favorite interview question to ask is "please describe for me an
>algorithm to sort a list of names."  Job applicants usually fall into
>three categories:

(Jeffrey) I certainly appreciate your further lucid explanations of how
things work.  I believe I already got the gist of it in your previous
threads (please, no more ;) ).  However I don't believe you have caught on
to the fact that in this case...size does not matter.  Whether the cache is
set large or small doesn't matter, the AFS service will still go into a
state of degradation after the cache size has been overflowed.

Also, the Windows client only gives me control over cache size, chunk size,
and status cache entries.  All of our clients use the standard chunk size
of 32K...not 1K blocks, and 1000 status cache entries.  I suppose I am
agreeing with Derrick here when he says there is no namespace conflict.  I
have no control over block size.  I do have control of chunk size.  Whether
or not they mean the same thing is unknown to me.

>P.S. - The request number for this topic is 2628.  I would appreciate it
>if any new information you find would be submitted to the request.

I will be performing further experiments like changing the number of
service threads and background threads as well as obtaining some process data.

Just for your information I'm using 6 background threads and 8 service threads.

I will let you know if anything further develops.

P.S.  So far, I find it odd that many people here who also use AFS on
Windows, yet apparently very few (via the lack of response), seem to have
run into the same situation.  This leads me to believe that most people
utilizing OpenAFS on Windows do so only for storage of application data
which in the most likely case will be small files.  It also seems likely
that there is very little roaming going on, as in a lab environment where
many people are logging on and off a set of machines.

Do any of you (how many of you) also use AFS space for running applications
from?  Big apps?  Many apps?

Just asking thanks,

Rodney