[OpenAFS] AFS vs Intermezzo vs CODA - how do i choose?

Michael Loftis mloftis@wgops.com
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:49:37 -0700

--On Monday, December 08, 2003 22:50 -0600 hanasaki <hanasaki@hanaden.com>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Just getting started with AFS and I have learned there are at least two
> other Filesystems that are similar (or at least I think so).  How do I
> choose between AFS/Intermezzo/CODA?

I hope it's not to late to ring in...but neither intermezzo nor coda are
ready for prime time... coda likely will never be.

> It appears that CODA is an AFS spin-off?

Not precisely, no.  It took some of the AFS ideas (client side caches, with
callbacks and coherency), but that's I think where it ends from my
experience.

> I will be running servers on debian sarge with kernels of 2.4.x and 2.6.

I doooon't think AFS is ready on 2.6 yet...actually since 2.6 isn't really
quite ready yet I'm pretty sure it's not.

--
Undocumented Features quote of the moment...
"It's not the one bullet with your name on it that you