[OpenAFS] openafs panic after chroot

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:14:28 -0500

--On Tuesday, February 11, 2003 01:28:53 -0800 emoy@apple.com wrote:

>  replaced the panic() call with a printf(), and going in and out of
> chroot a couple of times resulted in the following from the system log
> file:
Firstly, if you replace the panic with a printf, you should avoid calling
osi_VM_TryReclaim if the if is triggered. TryReclaim might successfully
dissociate the vnode from the VM object and drop the refcount to 0. if it's
really open, that would be bad.

Assuming you have the time to try it (I do not), could you see if the
following makes the "ui_refcount panic averted" messages go away:
- comment out all calls to osi_VM_TryReclaim. leave the 'flushactive
open...' printf in.
- run afsd with a large -stat parameter (at least 2000. you may want more)
- Don't run this configuration for extended periods of time, since it will
eventually panic in NewVCache.

(Basically, I'd like to know if the problem is the dodgy code in
TryReclaim, or something more fundamental)