[OpenAFS] afsd dead / weird config

Peter Schüller peter.schuller@infidyne.com
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 12:36:38 +0100

--Boundary-02=_Pf3T+ZsWGPGonn7

> there is a different approach of the debian packages of OpenAFS, so
> configuration-files are in /etc/openafs and not in /usr/vice/etc.
> the cache is in /var/cache/openafs and is not a seperate partiotion yet,
> but i could do so if it is necessary. i'm explaing all this, because i
> think the init.d scripts of bosserver and afsd (client) are totally
> weird under debian: the openafs-fileserver (bos) is using parts of the
> client config and values are set in a circumstantial (?) way.

Have a look at /etc/openafs/afs.conf and /etc/openafs/afs.conf.client. They=
=20
are sourced into the scripts.

(Not sure if that's what you're looking for)

> so i altered some switches and now afsd is started this way:
>

> /usr/sbin/afsd -stat 2000 -d/usr/sbin/afsd -stat 2000 -dcache 800
> -daemons 3 -volumes 70 -verbose -logfile /var/log/openafs/afsd.log
> -mountdir /afs -afsdbcache 800 -daemons 3 -volumes 70 -verbose -logfile
> /var/log/openafs/afsd.log -mountdir /afs -afsdb
>
> when started, 10 afsd processes show up (but cmd line says 3). also,
> afsd is not useable in any way. i can't terminate the processes and not
> even kill (-9) them! an strace bound to one of the processes is
> uninterruptable too, i have to kill (-9) the strace session.
> but i can give you the output of "strace strace -p PID-OF-AN-AFSD", if
> this helps. note, that the afsd's are (Z)ombies and not eating cpu-cycles.
>
> whereas the bosserver is running as "bosserver -noauth -log".
> the -noauth  is ok here in this trusted network, since i was not able to
> create users / a cell in here. the debian configuration files were also
> unclear here, setting up a big CellDB with foreign cells only. now i
> have a file called CellServDB in /etc/openafs with

afsd seems to have this behavior whenever the home cell/server is=20
inaccessible. I had the same exact problem for quite a while.

=46irstly, I don't know if afsd is supposted to work when the server is run=
ning=20
in non-authenticated mode. Perhaps it is, perhaps not. But if not, that mig=
ht=20
account for it not being able to connect to the server. Or more likely, tha=
t=20
the servers arent running properly (see below).

>  >housecafe.de
>
> in it and "ThisCell" with
>
> housecafe.de
>
> in it. (without the ">").
>
> but...

Make sure /etc/openafs/CellServDB and /etc/openafs/server/CellServDB match.=
=20
Ditto for ThisCell.

> root@sheep:/etc/openafs# bos status -server sheep.housecafe.de
> bos: no such entry (getting tickets)
> bos: running unauthenticated
> root@sheep:/etc/openafs#
>

> can you give me some advice what to do with that strange afsd and how to
> go on with this bosserver, not accepting any options?
> sure, i'm crawling the usual documentation, but i didn't see these
> problems anywhere else. pointing me to the right docs would also help.

The error message above is because it doesn't  know you are running=20
unauthenticated. Try adding the "-noauth" switch.

A bos status is supposed to list any pt/bu/fs/etc-servers that are running.=
=20
=46or example, on my box:

Instance ptserver, currently running normally.
Instance fs, currently running normally.
    Auxiliary status is: file server running.

(use "-long" to get more details).

Disregarding the authentication warning, your bos status seems to work, it'=
s=20
just that it doesn't return any information. Are the servers running?

I wrote a little mini-guide on how to get AFS+Kerberos to work in a Debian=
=20
environment. It might be of help:

http://www.scode.org/afs/openafs-install.txt

=2D-=20