[OpenAFS] poor out of cache behavior on writing

Stephen Joyce stephen@physics.unc.edu
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 20:37:18 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:

> Another possible scenario would be assume bypass until the file has been
> read once. That would cause all initial creates to bypass, but later
> appends/edits would return to normal speed.

How much of AFS' poor performance is due to the CM overhead and how much is
due to the overhead of RX?

I tend to think the performance benefit of this is worth considering.  Has
anyone on the list with knowledge of AFS internals taken a look at the
selective cache (table 3) portion of
http://www.citi.umich.edu/techreports/reports/citi-tr-01-3.pdf ?  You will,
of course, want to ignore the split path portion of the study for this
discussion.