[OpenAFS] Re: Stumped: openAFS client "Connection Timed Out"

Bob Cook bobcook@SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:23:28 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 Andrew Perrin wrote:

[skip]
>The symptom is simple:
>aperrin@joehill:~$ ls -lad afshome
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 aperrin  aperrin        34 Oct 17 14:11 afshome ->
>     /afs/isis.unc.edu/home/a/p/aperrin
>aperrin@joehill:~$ cd afshome
>bash: cd: afshome: Connection timed out
>
>But not if I go to the parent directory:
>aperrin@joehill:~$ cd /afs/@cell/home/a/p
>aperrin@joehill:/afs/@cell/home/a/p$
>
>Notice that it's not just my home directory:
>aperrin@joehill:/afs/@cell/home/a/p$ ls
>ls: apackouz: Connection timed out
>ls: apendyal: Connection timed out
[skip]
>apacker   apathak   apeay    apersson  apickard  apollard  aprange
>aprout
>apadams   apaules   apeele   apeters   apierce   apolychr  apresler
>apruitt
>apadro    apaulsen  apeery   apeterso  apinnix   aponte    apresley  aps
[skip]

>And that it works fine from the laptop:
>aperrin@simmel:~$ cd /afs/@cell/home/a/p/aperrin
>aperrin@simmel:/afs/@cell/home/a/p/aperrin$
>

>I've tried restarting both the NAT masq'er and the client machine, as well
>as using fs flush, with no luck.  Any further advice?

This sounds like a problem we saw from time to time where an AFS server
quits talking to a particular client machine.  I don't know all of the
circumstances that cause the server to make such a "decision".  The one we've
seen is where a client machine has its IP address changed.

Currently, we run only Transarc servers, and I believe they provided a fix
for this problem in the not-too-distant past.

As previous responders have suggested, this condition can be diagnosed by
issuing "fs checkservers" on the client.

When it happens, there is no command to tell the server to begin talking to
the client again.  Transarc said the only solution was restarting the
fileserver process on the server.