[OpenAFS] Cannot start client on Windows 2000 SP2

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 15:08:46 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Peter J. Nicol wrote:

> Ummmm ... this is on W2k 'Professional', not server ... could this be an
> issue?

I doubt it.

> Could it be a NetBIOS issue?  I could not find a setting to enable
> netbios over PPP.

The NetBIOS stuff is all happening locally, and none of your traffic
actually has to go across the PPP link.  All you should need to do is
install the NetBIOS protocol (most likely "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS
Compatible Transport Protocol"), and bind it to your dialup adapter.  I
don't have a 2K machine sitting around with a modem in it, so I can't
really give more detailed information, or recall if that's even possible
with 2K.

Alternatively, there was some discussion a while back about installing the
Windows Loopback adapter, and doing all the NetBIOS stuff over that.  You
might see if you can find it in the mailing list archives -- I don't
remember what the conclusion to that discussion was.

[ t charles clancy ]--[ tclancy@uiuc.edu ]--[ www.uiuc.edu/~tclancy ]