[OpenAFS] Cannot start client on Windows 2000 SP2

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 02:49:56 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Peter J. Nicol wrote:

> This involved a serious lot of mucking around with connection sharing also.  To
> tell the truth, I don't know *exactly* what I did to make it work.  I suppose I
> could strip it all back and start from scratch and document it all, if anyone
> thought it would be useful.

If you have the time and inclination, adding it to the Wiki on
www.openafs.org would be useful.

> Ok, I don't have any 'tokens' and have no mapped drives.  Client is
> asking for a password.  Is there any public system I can use to test
> this stuff out?  Do I need a guest or anonymous password?

There's no guest account, but a considerable part of the openafs.org cell
is world readable, 95% of it in fact. Someone else will need to explain
how to use the client as a guest but I believe it is possible.

> I originally got into this, because I read about the caching etc of AFS and
> thought it would be good to test it over slow links, both modem and ISDN.

It's possible with a warm cache to run binaries on a client out of cache
and not be sad, but if you need to pull some large across at 28.8 you'll
be sad. It's not really any worse than any other protocol in that sense,
but in the filesystem case it's perhaps easier to forget the gun is loaded
and whoops, you didn't need that limb, right?