[OpenAFS] WAN filesharing (was Cannot start client on Windows 2000 SP2)

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 03:20:36 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Peter J. Nicol wrote:

> http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/01/03/2114251&mode=nested&tid=106

Interesting. I wonder who 0x0d0a is. I have some guesses.

> Whilst researching AFS I got the impression that the client side caching would be
> very useful.  Offices need to swap drawing files between design and manufacturing
> and word docs etc.  Is what you are saying applicable here?  That is, is AFS a
> good solution to this?

If you can live with the metaphor of files living on servers instead of
every user sharing a drive on their desktop, AFS works fine for this. It
means for people remote from "the server" they're effectively pushing
instead of other people pulling from "my desktop", but depending on how
you work now, this may not really be a change.