[OpenAFS] Cannot start client on Windows 2000 SP2

Rickard Lind rpl@dd.chalmers.se
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 11:33:41 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Peter J. Nicol wrote:

> I am dialed in via PPP, and have followed all the instructions I can find at:
>
> http://www.unc.edu/atn/dci/install/win/doc/
>
> and
>
> http://dafis.ucdavis.edu/install/afs/trouble.cfm#inifiles
>
> to no avail.
>
> Error I am getting is:
>
> "The AFS Client Service could not be started successfully.
> You might not have authorization to perform this operations.", with error:
> 0x0000042a
>
> I have a disabled network card in the computer as well.  Machine was once on an NT
> domain, but is now standalone.
>
> Is this even doable, that is, will this work across PPP ?  If so, is there a
> trick?
>
> The build I am using is the latest from the OpenAFS.org website, 1.2.8a
>
> Any info or pointers would be much appreciated.

I had this problem with OpenAFS 1.2.6 and 1.2.7 with some Windows 2000 SP2
computers. They are connected to the AFS server over a standard network.
The solution I used was to reinstall Windows 2000 SP2. It worked. I
suppose some funny software install had wrecked the machines.

--
/Rickard Lind