[OpenAFS] AFS server processes hanging on SG servers

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:00:34 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Dr A V Le Blanc wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Dr A V Le Blanc wrote:
> > The following server processes have been hanging: kaserver, ptserver,
> > buserver, volserver.  I have not seen the fileserver or vlserver hang
> > yet; the bosserver doesn't hang but did frequently die without
> > trace...

dying without a trace suggests malloc()ing to death, but

> (2) I do have records of volserver hanging.  In times when I have
> been away and others have rebooted, I don't know what hung, and
> vlserver may have done so.  But, yes, the fact that volserver has
> hung does suggest that the problem isn't specific to ubik.
> On the other hand, if volserver has problems, why hasn't fileserver
> hung?  It certainly gets the most stress.

unless it's a heavily used fileserver i bet the db servers get more
network traffic. i assume leaving an attached syscall tracer is right out?