[OpenAFS] Is there any HOWTO out there? (Or someone who wants to help for money)

John Green green@blueheronbio.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:11:08 -0800

I am new with openafs, but I found the Quick Beginnings docs on the openafs
site to be all I needed to get the client/server up and running (I tried
several others, some were helpful, some were misleading); a few more changes
and the kerberos integration follows well (I'm still having a little trouble
with Win2K tokens, but all in good time).  I am using a RH 8.0 server,
openafs version 1.2.8.  Here is a link:
http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/QuickStartUnix/auqbg002.htm

I also had trouble with the bosserver hanging, it was my /afs directory not
properly mounting (due to improper setup).  I disabled the client, it didn't
hang, that narrowed the problem down.

Try this guide, make sure you don't miss any steps, and if it still doesn't
work maybe include some log excerpts for the more knowledgeable on this
list.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Schuller [mailto:peter.schuller@infidyne.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 11:16 AM
To: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: [OpenAFS] Is there any HOWTO out there? (Or someone who wants
to help for money)

Hello,

so this is ... well at least the fifth time I am trying to get AFS
working. The difference is that I *have* to get it working this time...

The problem is the server. The client-side is covered because on Unix
there is arla which is easy to set up; and on Windows there is the
OpenAFS Windows build which has been pretty easy to set up so far
(although I never did get 1.2.8 to work).

But I am desperately trying to get OpenAFS set up on a Linux server.
With or without kerberos, doesn't matter (everything'll be encrypted
anyway). But as usual I'm getting more or less nowhere.

Now, the IBM documentation is relatively useless after having read it a
few times given that half of the stuff doesn't apply with OpenAFS, and
the rest is half-incorrect because things have changed.

What I would *love* to have (and certainly help in developing once I get
it working myself) is some form av HOWTO on the matter. Even if it's
just a couple of pages saying what needs to be done to get things going.
What needs to be configured and how...

Is there such a document?

Or - is there someone out there who might be interested in a 1on1
session helping me set things up, for a reasonable sum of money?

(I have all the binaries in place and such (actually, I'm using the
Debian packages), and things are "sort of" working. But each time I get
different problems; at the moment my problem is bos hanging on startup.
Othertimes, I have various other problems. And I am never able to figure
it out. And even if I got bos running I would almost certainly have
trouble getting authentication to work.)

Thanks,

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org