[OpenAFS] multiple fileservers

Tino Schwarze tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:01:04 +0100

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:50:23AM -0000, amar deep kumar wrote:
> on adding additional file server ,if we replicate the read/write
> volume on those fileservers, and if the fileserver that has the
> read/write copy of the volume goes down, will we be able to read the
> volumes from the replicas.whether we can write in the volumes or not.
> i want to have multiple  fileservers on which the read write volumes
> will be replicated, but it seems as if for them to work the fileserver
> having read/write volume should be up.please elaborate this point.

It should work as you like. But it needs some considerations. The client
will use RO volumes as long as possible. But if it comes across a RW
volume while traversing the path leading to a file, it will switch over
and only use RW from there on. So, you need to make sure that every
volume a client needs to traverse to get to a file has an RO clone (even
if its on the same disk - it does not occupy space there).

HTH! Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/