[OpenAFS] multiple fileservers

Paul Blackburn mpb@est.ibm.com
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:04:46 +0000

Hi Amar,

Yes, that is the whole point of replicating ReadOnly data on
multiple servers: the ReadOnly data is still accessible
when the fileserver housing the ReadWrite volume is offline.

It works here.

Of course it helps if the ReadOnly replica volumes
are regularily kept up-to-date with the ReadWrite copy
using something like: "vos release $volume -verbose".

In addition, if your have fileservers in geographically
distant locations, you can define AFS fileserver preferences
so that your client will select a closer fileserver rather
than a distant fileserver.

You will find a script for computing best fileserver preferences
based on ping times from client to all fileservers in a cell here:
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/plutonic/scripts/afs_optim

Many AFS cells have all their fileservers in a single location
so "afs_optim" won't help much with those.

AFS volume replication is for ReadOnly data only.

HTH.
--
cheers
paul                      http://acm.org/~mpb