[OpenAFS] Odd problem with pts mem

Steve Devine sdevine@msu.edu
31 Jan 2003 10:18:55 -0500

All
We recently moved from Transarc afs to OpenAFS 1.2.8  on our database
server.
All seems to have gone well but we do have some new behavior.

A call such as: 'pts mem some-group:some-name' would die on the vine.
Some times it would work but if the group had a large membership it
failed.

After much grief and experimentation we discovered our client firewall
software was blocking our database's answers.
If we open our firewall rules to allow the database box full access
(udp) then all is well.
Here is a sample from the firewall logs. (ipfilters)

09:58:04.673448 16x eri0 @0:17 p 35.X.X.XX - > 35.X.X.XXX PR udp len 20
( 1404 ) frag -1384@1480 IN

We also went from an AIX platform to RedHat Linux so maybe this is just
a diff on the manner in which these packets are handled by the OS.
Dunno.

Bug or Feature ?

--
Steve Devine <sdevine@msu.edu>