[OpenAFS] vos: syncvldb --- Warning: Orphaned RW Volume

Ken Aaker kenaaker@silverbacksystems.com
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:47:34 -0600

I've just put up a new file server (my first additional file server,
setup as a "simple" file server). I was
 merrily moving volumes onto the new file server when the new machine
crashed.
 (Due to a disagreement between two hard drives on the same cable, which
I remedied.).
 Now, I can't seem to get the two servers to agree about the volumes on
the new server any longer....

I did a bos salvage on the partition, and then tried a  vos syncvldb
"new-server", and got the following
 output. If I run the command again I get the same output, ad
infinitum... But the volumes are all
 online and accessable.

endar:/usr/afs/db # vos syncvldb endar
*** Warning: Orphaned RW volume 536870999 exists on
endar.roch.silverbacksystems.com /vicepa
    VLDB reports RW volume 536870999 exists on
endar.roch.silverbacksystems.com /vicepa
*** Warning: Orphaned RW volume 536870993 exists on
endar.roch.silverbacksystems.com /vicepa
    VLDB reports RW volume 536870993 exists on
endar.roch.silverbacksystems.com /vicepa
*** Warning: Orphaned RW volume 536870972 exists on
endar.roch.silverbacksystems.com /vicepa
    VLDB reports RW volume 536870972 exists on
endar.roch.silverbacksystems.com /vicepa
*** Warning: Orphaned RW volume 536870969 exists on
endar.roch.silverbacksystems.com /vicepa
    VLDB reports RW volume 536870969 exists on
endar.roch.silverbacksystems.com /vicepa
*** Warning: Orphaned RW volume 536870966 exists on
endar.roch.silverbacksystems.com /vicepa
    VLDB reports RW volume 536870966 exists on
endar.roch.silverbacksystems.com /vicepa
*** Warning: Orphaned RW volume 536870963 exists on
endar.roch.silverbacksystems.com /vicepa
    VLDB reports RW volume 536870963 exists on
endar.roch.silverbacksystems.com /vicepa
*** Warning: Orphaned RW volume 536870957 exists on
endar.roch.silverbacksystems.com /vicepa
    VLDB reports RW volume 536870957 exists on
endar.roch.silverbacksystems.com /vicepa
*** Warning: Orphaned RW volume 536870942 exists on
endar.roch.silverbacksystems.com /vicepa
    VLDB reports RW volume 536870942 exists on
endar.roch.silverbacksystems.com /vicepa
VLDB synchronized with state of server endar

 From reading the man page on vos syncvldb, I would have expected the
syncvldb to have resolved the
disagreement between the volume labels in the /vicepa partition and the
vldb. That doesn't seem to be
happening.

One additional thing that I did find was that there was nothing in
endar:/usr/afs/db. Is that normal? Is
the one and only vldb kept on the primary server?

Could anyone give me a lead about what's going on, and maybe how to fix it.

--
work -> kenaaker@silverbacksystems.com	(507) 289-6910 ext 1
home -> kenaaker@screaminet.com