[OpenAFS] Newbie questions

Brian Akins bakins@web.turner.com
03 Jul 2003 14:29:41 -0400

Greetings,
I'm an openAFS newbie.  I'm investigating a solution to provide
read-only content to many clients (100's) and a read-only gold
server(s). I have just begun to play with it and haven't found good
answers to a few questions:

1. Is the max volume size 8GB (this seems to be the case)?  Can a server
serve many volumes, so that a fileserver serves 32 GB of data (for
example)? Or is this a fileserver limit?

2. What happens to a client if it looses network connectivity to all
servers (file, database)?  Can it still use the data in its local cache?

3. Any tips on setting up "dataless" linux clients?

We are inverstigating using Linux (Redhat 7.2 and Debian 3.0).  If this
goes well, we will continue with Solaris 8 & 9.

Thanks.

--
Brian Akins <bakins@web.turner.com>
CNN Internet Technologies