[OpenAFS] AFS and w2k KDC

Christos Ricudis ricudis@itc.auth.gr
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 14:01:23 +0300

Dear AFS users,

I am trying to migrate our AFS to Kerberos 5 Authentication. The
intention is to use a W2k KDC for AFS authentication. The problem
is that I haven't been able to find any concise documentation
about the procedure to acomplish either of these two tasks.

1) All available documentation and posts imply that I should be using
krb5 kinit in conjuction with aklog, or the modified klogin/kinit in
afs-krb5 package to obtain AFS tokens. We use pam_afs to obtain tokens
in our current installation. Is it able to accomplish this task?
It seems that pam_krb5 alone wouldn't be enough. Has anybody did it?
We need to authenticate Linux, Solaris, HP-UX and Windows clients.

I have found Doug Engert's GSSKLOG. At first look, it seems like it
can be help on this.

2) Trying to compile the latest NRL AFS-Kerberos 5 migration kit,
obtained from grand.central.org, the monster patch does not apply
cleanly to none of the MIT krb5 packages I have been able to find.
It also seems that it applies only to krb5 1.2.7. kerberos 5 1.2.8
though, includes some very important security fixes. How important
is the monster-patch for correct operation of AFS with krb5? Has the
monster-patch been ported to 1.2.8?

3) Assuming I can finally get AFS to work with krb5, how can I
authenticate from a W2k KDC? Can krb524d be used to authenticate
against a w2k KDC, or I need two KDCs and cross-realm authentication?
Are there any documents detailing the necessary steps?

Thank you very much,

--
Christos Ricudis				ricudis@itc.auth.gr
Systems Administrator				+30-2310-998305