[OpenAFS] Cell/Realm Name and DNS

Jimmy Engelbrecht jimmy@e.kth.se
08 Jul 2003 14:02:09 +0200

Stefan Nobis <stefan-ml@snobis.de> writes:

> Hi.
>
> How important is it to choose a domain name as realm and cell name
> for Kerberos/OpenAFS? What are the drawbacks if something other
> than domain names are choosen?

On my site we do not use CellServDB since we belive that AFSDB-rr in DNS is
much better. So we do only map up cells in /afs which have a valid AFSDB-rr
in DNS, this is an at least 10 year old standard. So if you choose an
cellname where you will not be able to add an AFSDB-rr in DNS lets say
"idontlikedots", we will never map your cell in our /afs which prevent our
users from accessing your cell. So if you ever want to add AFSDB-rr in DNS
,which i recommend, i would pick a cellname that in "in" your domain.

/Jimmy