[OpenAFS] windows XP problems, tips and tricks

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:36:52 -0400

hi all -

i'm having trouble with afs on windows xp.

a previous install worked fine.

The symptom is that I can map drives and I can get tickets and tokens
via wake, but i am not given authenticated user access - can't write to
or browse protected directories.

details -
  windows XP up to date including all service packs and hot fixes
   through today (7/11/03)
  ipv6 disabled
  firewall disabled
  windows username same as afs username
  computer name "Ghost" (less than 14 chars, no special chars)

  openafs 1.2.9a
  wake 2.5 with kerberos5 downloaded from wake site 7/9/03

one thing i was wondering about was the DNS name of the windows machine -
it is a dynamic DHCP client and we don't have dynamic dns updates happening.
However, a win2k machine that works is in the same situation.

While I am at it, i know there are various "gotchas" with the windows
afs client (eg, the host name less than 14 chars), but I do not know
what they all are.  Can someone elucidate me?  I'll add a windows
client section to the FAQ in the wiki.

Finally, i haven't had time to troubleshoot this very far, but it seems
like when getting addressless kerberos tickets on windows, i cannot
then get a working token (i do not remembber whether i get a token at
all).  In general, i don't care about using addressless tickets, but
i thought it would be necessary to get them when behind NAT.

Is there a windows-specific afs mailing list i am not aware of?

thanks in advance

danno
--
dan pritts                                       danno@internet2.edu
systems administrator                            734/352-4953 office