[OpenAFS] afs backups

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:05:46 -0400

it sounds like what you want is the "vos dump" command.

This will dump an entire AFS volume to a file on local disk, which can
then be, for instance, backed up to tape.

This can be done on any afs client machine, but it requires
authentication.  If Doing it on an AFS server you can use the "-localauth"
option to vos to

"vos restore" can restore the volume.

Look at the help for vos for the full syntax and options.

You probalby will want to "vos backup" volumes as the first part of your
backup system.  This creates a read-only snapshot of the volume as it
exists at the time you do vos backup.   This volume is given the name
of the original volume plus an extension ".backup", so if i did a
"vos backup user.danno" the backup volume would be user.danno.backup.

This volume can be mounted in the user's home directory.

This is handy for users to be able to quickly restore accidentally deleted
files.