[OpenAFS] afs backups

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:05:08 -0400

Hi,

Sending replies to the list instead of individuals will ensure that
the traffic is saved for posterity, and give others a chance to chime in.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 02:13:36PM +0000, Ron Croonenberg wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
>
> Can I use any wildcards ?  I mean can I use the "vos backup" with a wildcard to
> create backup volumes of all volumes that exist currently ?
> (You told me it creates the .backup volumes, does it "overwrite" existing backup
> volumes ?)
>
> if this wildcard thing exists works for "vos backup" then it probably works for
> "vos dump" too ?

I don't think you can use any wildcards.  You can, however, use "vos
listvldb" to list all the volumes in your cell, and use this to generate
a list of volumes to back up.

there are probably scripts out there to do this but i don't have one
to offer.

> I don't want to bother you too much, but it seems what I want is :
> [1] create a backup volume of all volumes with "vos backup
> [2] use "vos dump" to create a file that holds all the backup volumes
> [3] when I do a tape backup I include the created file.
>
> I know how to do [3]

each vos dump of a volume creates an individual file, but other than
that you have the idea.

> Sorry for asking you these questions, but the person previously doing "ran away
> without notification nor documentation etc and I am not that familiar with AFS.

You should read the afs administrator's guide, which is
available at:
   http://www.openafs.org/doc/index.htm

> thanks for any hints you have,

the command line help for vos, pts, and fs are reasonably good.
It won't teach you concepts but it will help you poke around.

vos help
fs help
pts help