[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on Linux 2.5.x

Adrian Knoth adi@drcomp.erfurt.thur.de
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:12:54 +0200

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 07:32:14PM -0400, Brent Graveland wrote:

> > That's right. We're (CS-faculty of Jena University) using a AFS-root-
> > Debian-Installation for our computer-pools (student's workstations)
> I've gotten afsd+module inside of an initrd, and have a 100% netboot

That's what we do.

> How do you get init to work properly?  Did you just hack it?

/sbin/init is our shellscript inside the initrd. It's the whole magic
of this project and I guess it would be a good idea to publish it ;)

After we're trough with mounting the afs-cache, the AFS-space and the
bind-mount of everything else (/afs/minet.uni-jena.de/i386_debian/{bin,
etc, lib, usr, sbin => /{bin,etc...}) we just call /sbin/init $PARAMS
which is now the usual init presented by Debian ;) In fact we do not
call, we replace the execution of our /sbin/init by the real /sbin/init.

This does the normal boot like you know it.

ps-output is usual:
root         1  0.0  0.1  1212  460 ?        S    Jul07   0:05 init [3]

I think it's time to write some lines of documentation ;)

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Glück im Spiel - Geld für die Liebe!