[OpenAFS] Mail delivery (With maildir) to openafs spool

Hamish Marson hamish@travellingkiwi.com
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:20:29 +0100

jon+openafs@silicide.dk wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 11:06:40AM +0100, Hamish Marson wrote:
>

>>Hi all.
>>
>>I've asked this question on the postfix mailing list (And been knocked
>>back a bit :), but thought I'd ask here anyway, since things appear to
>>be inconclusive so far...
>>
>>Is anyone curently using AFS volumes as the mail spool for delivering
>>email using postfix or does anyone know any reason why it would be a bad
>>idea to doit? I've searched the web a fair bit & the closest I've come
>>to an answer is Richard Campbells book saying some people are doing it,
>>but no details.
>>

>We just dicussed it last week? Did you check the archives?

Yes... I even searched with google... Do you remember the subject? And
I'll try searching again...

One response I got from a postfix person was

>You can pay for people or you can pay for equipment.
>
>Regardless, AFS is the solution to a different problem.
>
>With AFS you can't use maildir, because hard links work
>only within a directory.
>
>With AFS you can't use mailbox, because the file system
>copies files back and forth.
>
>In both cases, AFS breaks the safety guarantees of fsync.
>
>Who says it is safe to expose AFS to the raw internet?

TIA

Hamish.

--

I don't suffer from Insanity... 	| Linux User #16396
	I enjoy every minute of it...	|

http://www.travellingkiwi.com/		|