[OpenAFS] Mail delivery (With maildir) to openafs spool

Noel Burton-Krahn noel@bkbox.com
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:31:14 -0700

Hi Hamish,

Yes, this thread went by a few days ago.  We at bkbox.com use qmail,
procmail, SpamAssassin, Courier IMAP, and SqWebMail on OpenAFS and I'm very
happy with it.

Here are some issues I remember from the discussion:

1. The Maildir delivery process uses link() to move a delivered message from
Maildir/tmp to Maildir/new.  AFS doesn't do link().  You have to patch
postfix or qmail to do rename() instead.  Some people think rename() might
not be as robust as link(), but I haven't seen any technical proofs one way
or the other. I personally use a patched qmail with rename() and it works
fine for me.

2.  You have to make sure your mail delivery agent (postfix) gets the right
permissions to deliver into Maildirs. I make a maild principal and give all
Maildirs an acl like "maild lid".  That lets qmail deliver and delete
messages, but not read them.

3. Getting Courier IMAP and SqWebMail to acquire AFS tokens when a user
login in was tricky, but it works.

Hope that helps,

--Noel