[OpenAFS] Knfs doesn't work on an AFS/NFS translator under OpenAFS

Nickolai Zeldovich kolya@MIT.EDU
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 20:01:34 -0400 (EDT)

Dexter 'Kim' Kimball <dhk@ccre.com> wrote:

> Didn't the VLDB format change to accomodate multi-homed fileservers
> around 3.3?
>
> I thought that was part of the 3.3-3.4 transition??

That's probably the case, and as a result you shouldn't run a 3.3 VLDB
server and an OpenAFS VLDB server at the same time :)  But older AFS
clients still work just fine, because the new VLDB format comes with new
RPCs for accessing the additional information.  Even my apollo Domain/OS
machine running Jim Rees's AFS 3.1 client still works with OpenAFS cells.

-- kolya