[OpenAFS] Backup via Veritas Backup Exec or IBM Tivoli

M. Jamal Green mgreen@odu.edu
05 Jun 2003 12:57:57 -0400

Frode,

I can't speak on using Veritas Backup Exec but we use Tivoli Storage
Manager here at Old Dominion University.  We've been using IBM DCE DFS
and are in the process of making the switch to AFS.

Why we like TSM for backing up DFS and AFS is that you can backup and
restore to the file level instead of the volume level.

The caveats are

1) IBM only makes the DFS/AFS client for AIX 4.3.3 and earlier
2) IBM is not supporting AIX 4.3.x after this year

However, because of storage crunch and our requirements, backing up
volumes instead of changed files wasn't going to cut it with us.

Hope that helps you out.

- M. Jamal Green