[OpenAFS] sharing violation on windows and openafs1.2.8

Kevin Coffman kwc@citi.umich.edu
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:18:42 -0400

FWIW, I do not see this behavior with 1.2.8a on my XP system.  I was =
able to
create a folder and rename it several times with no problem using =
Windows
Explorer.

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org =
[mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of David Bear
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 6:35 PM
To: openafs
Subject: [OpenAFS] sharing violation on windows and openafs1.2.8

strange event happening.

on win2000.  using openafs 1.2.8.

user attempts to create a 'folder' aka directory on an afs drive using
the explorer interface.  right click, create new folder, explorer
creates a folder with the default name of New Folder, then type the
desired name of the new folder  (standard operating proceedure
correct). However, after the user types the desired name of the new
folder, windows comes back with a popup dialog, "sharing violation",
and it becomes impossible to change the name of the folder.  After
escaping from the naming operation, the "New Folder" exists in afs.
However, it cannot be renamed or removed after.  Any attempt to
removed it causes the same error message.. sharing violation.

furthermore, even after dropping tokens, any attempt to unmap the
drive letter pointing to afs is unsuccessfull with the message the
share is in use.

This is a first.  Anyone else seen this?  It is now impossible to
create directories using windows explorer. =20

--=20
David Bear
phone: 	480-965-8257
fax: 	480-965-9189