[OpenAFS] problem with openafs on a recompiled 2.4.20-8 kernel

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:52:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Johann Cohen-Tanugi wrote:

> Hi,
> thanks for answering quickly.
>
> On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 16:20, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Did you completely remove Red Hat's ksyms before you rebuilt your
> > kernel with a different configuration?
> >
> I had no clue about it until you mentioned it. Then I looked at the man
> of ksyms, etc.... So, to answer your question I never did anything about
> these symbols. Can you tell me more about removing ksyms? I never saw
> any mention of it before! I just make xconfig,, make dep, make bzImage,
> modules etc...

Removing them is the wrong answer. Making the ones in the headers you have
match the kernel you deployed is the correct answer.

> But as a matter of fact I am currently experiencing problems compiling
> kernel 2.4.20-18.9 modules andit seems to be a config problems because
> it incorrectly parse kernel.h  and/or module.h, starting at lines using
> "extern"

Provide an error?

> Please let me know what you expect me to do about these ksyms before
> compiling.... Note that I also tried the binaries provided by openAFS...
> Why would these also fail?

Because they were build for Redhat provided kernels at the time of the
release; If you're not runnong one of those, they won't help you.