[OpenAFS] problem with openafs on a recompiled 2.4.20-8 kernel

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:35:16 -0400 (EDT)

You need not reply to me directly; Please don't.

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Johann Cohen-Tanugi wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 17:06, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > If you are going to reconfigure a Red Hat kernel then you MUST
> > remove the pre-computed ksyms from include/linux/modules/*
> >
> ok, currently I have:
> [root@localhost linux-2.4.20-18.9]# ls ../linux-2.4.20-8/
> include/linux/modules/

cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8

assuming you have a .config there reflecting the options you want, do
this:

cp .config oldconfig
make mrproper
cp oldconfig .config
make oldconfig
make dep
make bzImage
make modules

make modules_install
copy the System.map, vmlinux and arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot (call the
latter vmlinuz).

edit lilo.conf or grub.conf to know about this new kernel.

build openafs against these kernel headers, which now reflect what you
will be running.

> boot and use) but it would impede somehow the compilation of 3rd party
> source, even if now these symbols have disappeared. Am I understanding
> correctly?

It's the disappearance of them which is probably the problem.