[OpenAFS] Question on virus-scanning

Garance A Drosihn drosih@rpi.edu
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:16:15 -0400

We are soon going to have students who will have laptops with
openafs installed.  In previous years we had students connect
to a unix machine running samba, and that machine gave them
access to the AFS cell at RPI.  I'm the guy who keeps an eye
on our samba server machine.

One thing I noticed is that every once-in-awhile some student
gets their laptop setup so their virus-checker program is
scanning all of AFS space for viruses.  I can see these as a
single SMB process which keeps chewing 20% of a CPU for hours
and hours (for days, if I don't do something about it).

Luckily this only happens on less than 1% of the laptops, but
it can still be annoying.  Does anyone notice problems with
this for WinXP machines which have OpenAFS installed on it?
Any good way to minimize the impact, or at least rapidly
notice what's happening on the file-server side?