[OpenAFS] fs setcrypt forcing

Garance A Drosihn drosih@rpi.edu
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:34:58 -0400

At 8:39 PM -0500 6/13/03, Nathan Neulinger wrote:
>You can't encrypt unless the connection is authenticated.
>You would be blocking all non-authenticated
>system:anyuser access.
>
>That may or may not be a good idea, but should be kept
>in mind.

Would it make sense if 'fs setcrypt' would automatically fall
back to use non-encrypted connections to any volumes accessible
by system:anyuser (and *only* those volumes) if the connection
is not currently authenticated?

This seems "reasonable" to me, since all of those files are
world-readable anyway.  Of course, I'm sure I could think of
arguments against the idea, if I actually wanted to...  :-)

maybe have a third option, 'fs setcrypt allprivate'
(a lousy name, but my mind is drawing a blank right now)