[OpenAFS] drbd or nbd with openafs?

Toens Bueker toens.bueker@gmx.net
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 12:08:07 +0200

Paul Blackburn <mpb@est.ibm.com> wrote:

> If you want to improve the availability of your AFS
> database service for your AFS cell, you simply have
> multiple db servers.

[...]

> Multiple database servers also distributes the
> processing load from clients accessing database servers:
> it scales.
>
> It works beautifully.

I know - that's why I like afs so much. :-)

> It is possible to use fairly basic PC hardware running,
> say, Linux. This means it is cheap and you can have lots
> of db servers which give your users a reliable
> highly-available AFS service.

Basically I was looking for a means to enhance the
availability of my vice-partitions (they reside on RAID
devices but a double-disk failure or a fire could be
real showstoppers).

Thus I thought it would probably be a good idea to mirror
them to another server to minimize downtime when disaster
strikes. I know, that there are means to accomplish that on
other OSses (e. g. AIX' LVM) but I haven't found something
I could use with Linux, yet.

by
Töns
--