[OpenAFS] drbd or nbd with openafs?

Paul Blackburn mpb@acm.org
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 09:04:08 +0100

Hello Töns,

If you want to improve the availability of your AFS database service
for your AFS cell, you simply have multiple db servers.

Data is "cloned" between the db servers using UBIK.
If one db server fails, the others keep serving data.

Multiple database servers also distributes the processing load
from clients accessing database servers: it scales.

It works beautifully.

AFS database servers do not have to be "seriously chunky" machines.
It is possible to use fairly basic PC hardware running, say, Linux.
This means it is cheap and you can have lots of db servers
which give your users a reliable highly-available AFS service.

We use dedicated (eg database server only) machines in one of our cells.
This makes it easy to upgrade one db server without major impact on the
live service.
Repeat this and you can easily upgrade/re-install each db server in turn
with very little disruption to AFS clients.

HTH.
--
cheers
paul                             http://acm.org/~mpb