[OpenAFS] OpenAFS speed - some benchmarks

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:15:37 -0700

Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

> I've seen people do pretty good with having one central Kerberos server,
> and one AFS cell per department (all sharing the same Kerberos
> namespace).  You have to know what you're doing for that to work well,
> though :-)

And creating a whole new AFS cell is a much more heavy-weight operation
than just putting up a new server, and I don't *really* want to make
anyone who wants to put up a new server put up a new AFS cell.  Plus, if
you've historically just dealt with a single cell, teaching people about
having multiple tokens in multiple cells and managing them, or alternately
dealing with cross-realm trust and the security issues involved, is quite
a change.