[OpenAFS] OpenAFS speed - some benchmarks

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:25:28 -0400

>a.  You "can" create a single "admin" kerberos principle.

Uh, yeah, I guess ... although unless you're a small site, I'm not sure
why'd you _want_ to.

>b.  Or, you "can" create "admin_srv1", "admin_srv2", "admin_srv3", etc..

I suppose.

>c.  And, the person who "throws up" the NFS server chooses which "admin"
>principles, or user principles are authentictated to the filespace?

I'm not sure I know what you mean here.  I mean, in theory anyone in
that realm (or foreign realms) could authenticate to that NFS server.
What you could do is up to the administrator of that server.

>d.  But, since all principles are a part of the single Kerberos namespace
>they all must also be managed via a single "uid" namespace too...which all
>the NFS servers must share in common?

A uid namespace?  I don't understand.  From what I've seen, there is only
a "userid" namespace.

>So must a user re-auth for every server they "hit" when drilling down
>through the mount points?

You mean, just like in AFS?  Yeah, I suppose that's true.

--Ken