[OpenAFS] OpenAFS speed - some benchmarks

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:40:37 -0400

At 03:25 PM 6/25/2003 -0400, Ken Hornstein wrote:
>A uid namespace?  I don't understand.  From what I've seen, there is only
>a "userid" namespace.

I'm confused.  Kerberos is for "authentication" not "authorization".  What
I'm asking is what is the "authorization" method used under
NFSv4?  Normally a NFS server maps "uids" of "authenticated users" to files
right?  Well, for multiple NFS servers using Kerberos "authentication"
there needs to be some way of mapping "authenticated" users to "uids" on
those systems...right?  Since all the NFS servers, even ones run by
individuals, fall under the same Kerberos authentication namespace, then
they all need to use the same "uid" space too...right?  Otherwise, how do
you perform a chown?

Rodney